At the age of 12 Maya lost all of her hair. Within a couple of weeks she turned completely bald. The diagnosis: Alopecia areata.
It causes Maya’s body to reject every single hair like a foreign object. Two years later she has gotten used to her baldness.
But summer is a brutal time for her. It’s too hot to hide under a wig or a hat. Then, Maya feels naked, and she asks herself:
How do others perceive me? Am I alright the way I am? Am I beautiful? Almost like a way to provide the answers,
Maya takes lots of selfies, just like her friends. And somewhere in between swiping, liking and sharing, the girls are growing
into young women. MySelfie is a documentary that observes the levels of self-perception and external perception that Maya
and her friends are experiencing. It is not about narcissism but about searching and finding one’s inner self, and eventually self-love.
A coming-of-age film that portrays the self-exploration of a whole generation by looking at Maya’s story.
Documentary, Germany 2019, HD, color, 52 min, Avid Media Composer 8
Director & Writer: Anne Scheschonk
Director of Photography: Markus Kloth
Producer: Mike Brandin
Music: Konstantin Wolkenstein
Sound: Kai Hesselbarth
Production: In One Media // MDR // KIKA
Festivals + Screenings:
• 62. DOK Leipzig 2019 – (Official Selection, International Programme – Nomination YOUNG EYES AWARD)
• 14. Vox Feminae 2020, Zagreb – (Official Selection)
• Dytiatko 2020, Ukraine – (Official Selection)
• Dublin Independent Film Festival 2020, Ireland – (Official Selection – Nomination BEST DOCUMENTARY)
• 31st BELFAST CINEMAGIC FILM FESTIVAL 2020, North Ireland
• The Lift of Sessions Global Sessions, 2020
• 33rd CINEKID Screening Club, 2020
• Anatolia International Film Festival, 2020
• KIDS FIRST! Film Festival, 2020
• Doc.Berlin Documentary Film Festival, 2020
• Alternative Film Festival, Toronto, 2020 – (WINNER BEST DOCUMENTARY)
• Bienal Internacional Dona i Cinema, Valencia, 2021
• R2R Film Festival, Vancouver, 2021